The depth of flavor of Hazelnut Hot Chocolate is perfect for warming body and soul on cold days of Winter. Enjoy a cup and relax.
Hazelnut Hot Chocolate
Author: Dominick LaRuffa Jr.
Recipe type: Non-Alcoholic Drinks
- 1/2 Cup hazelnuts, whole, skin on
- 4 Cups whole milk
- 1/4 Cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons, or more if needed powdered sugar
- 10 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, grated
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream, whipped into stiff peaks
- Toast hazelnuts in a 300 degrees F oven until lightly brown, about 10 minutes. Place in a towel, rub well to remove skins. In a food processor, pulse until evenly ground but not too fine. Transfer to a heat-proof bowl.
- In a saucepan over low heat, stir together milk, cocoa powder and sugar. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat, pour over the hazelnuts, let steep at least 1 hour (or let sit overnight in the refrigerator).
- Strain mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a saucepan. Heat until warm but not boiling. Stir in chocolate. To serve, heat to a simmer. Divide among 4 cups. Top with whipped cream.