The history of Hanukkah Gelt or gold coins given for the holidays has roots in ancient history. The cocktail is rooted in modern mixology and delicious flavors. Hanukkah Gelt started out as golden coins given to teachers as a mark of respect, in 17th Century Poland, transforming over time as gifts for children. Eventually, these were replaced with chocolate coins covered in gold foil to emulate the gold coins minted by the Hasmoneans to celebrate the victory of the Maccabees over the ancient Greeks. Those coins bore the great Menorah, or Hanukkah candelabrum.
- 2 fluid ounces potato vodka
- 1/4 fluid ounce chocolate liqueur
- 1/2 fluid ounce Goldschlager liqueur (with gold leaf)
- Shake vodka and chocolate liqueur over ice in a cocktail shaker.
- Strain into cocktail glass.
- Add Goldschlager and serve immediately.