Golden Apricot Nog
Author: Chief Mixologist
Recipe type: Punches
- 1/2 lb dried apricots
- 1 Cup water
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick (3)
- 1 Cup non-fat milk
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 7 Cups non-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 3/4 Cup Rum or Brandy (optional)
- In a 1-2 qt. saucepan, combine apricots, water, sugar, and cinnamon stick.
- Bring to boil over high heat, then cover, reduce heat, gently simmer until Apricots are very tender when pierced, about 15 minutes. Discard Cinnamon.
- Let Apricots cool at least 1 hour.
- Pour into blender and add milk. Whirl until mixture is smooth.
- Mix in a large bowl with vanilla, milk, and nutmeg. Cover and chill at least 4 hours or until the next day.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed until frothy. Gradually beat in remaining sugar until whites hold stiff moist peaks. Set aside about 1/2 C. of the meringue.
- Gently whisk Apricot mixture into remaining meringue until smoothly blended.
- Stir in Rum or Brandy to taste and enough more Milk to thin to desired consistency.
- Pour into serving bowl and float the reserved meringue on top of the liquid.