Galliano is a classic Italian liqueur found in every Italian home bar. Its bright, sunshine yellow coloring make it a favorite, and its herbal, sweet flavor mix incredibly well with thousands of cocktail recipes.
Commercially, Galliano comes in two distinct bottles. The internationally known version in a tall, thin faceted bottle, and the other – a short ceramic bottle in the shape of a “Carabiniere” or Italian police officer, sold almost exclusively in Italy.
Originally produced in 1896, Galliano became most popular after WWII outside Europe as American soldiers who tasted it while in Europe brought it home to America. Over time, it has become one of Italy’s largest exports.
Galliano is used in a few dessert recipes, including a delicious cake.
- 1 teaspoon chopped, dried angelica root
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 whole clove
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 1 Cup water
- 2 Cups sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon anise extract
- 1/2 teaspoon banana extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pineapple extract
- 3 Cups 100 proof vodka
- 1 teaspoon glycerine
- 2 to 3 drops yellow food coloring
- Put angelica, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg and vanilla bean in medium saucepan, add water. Heat to boil, remove from heat. Let stand 15 seconds. Then pour through wire-mesh strainer, lined with a coffee filter, into a bowl. (Its important to work quickly or the spices will impart too strong a color and taste to the liquid.) Hold on to the vanilla bean, discard the other spices.
- Rinse saucepan and pour liquid back into it. Add vanilla bean and sugar. Heat to boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Add lemon juice, extracts, and alcohol, stirring to combine. Pour into clean container. Cap, and age in a cool, dark place for 1 week.
- After 1 week, strain through a cloth bag set in a wire-mesh strainer over a large bowl. Repeat until desired clarity is reached. Stir in glycerine and food coloring.
- Bottle and seal, allow to age for 3 to 6 months.
- Makes about 1 1/2 quarts.