Funchal Cup is a warm, comforting punch of Portuguese origins. It is popular in Great Britain, particularly in cold weather. Make a large portion and reheat as needed.
Author: Chief Mixologist
Recipe type: Punch
Serves: 3 pints (1.7 litres)
- 1 bottle medium Madeira
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) brandy
- 4 Tablespoons (60 ml) apricot brandy
- 4 Tablespoons (60 ml) liqueur (eg yellow Chartreuse, Kirsch)
- 1 pint (600 ml) grapefruit juice
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1 Cup (300 ml} water
- sugar syrup
- Heat the wine, brandies and liqueur together, but do not boil
- Add the fruit juice and cinnamon and as much water as is needed to bring the cup to the required strength.
- Adjust the sweetness with sugar syrup to taste.