The elite amongst traditional nogs, Fifth Avenue Eggnog deserves its name. Very classy, conservative and ‘swellegant’ yet incredibly delicious and enjoyable.
Fifth Avenue Eggnog
Author: Dominick LaRuffa Jr.
Recipe type: Holiday Drinks
- 6 large eggs; separated
- 1 3/4 Cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 Cups Brandy; or to taste
- 4 Cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 freshly grated nutmeg for garnish
- Place the egg whites in a container and refrigerate, tightly covered.
- With a mixer or a whisk, beat the egg yolks until light and creamy.
- Gradually add the confectioners' sugar, beating until the mixture is smooth.
- Continue beating while slowly adding 1 cup of the brandy.
- When the liquor is incorporated, cover the mixture and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Remove the egg yolks from the refrigerator.
- While beating or whisking constantly, slowly add the cream and remaining brandy to taste.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- Cover the mixture and refrigerate at least 3 hours.
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff but not dry.
- Fold the egg whites into the yolk-and-cream mixture.
- Serve in chilled glasses with a dusting of nutmeg.
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 6 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates
Serving size: 4 ounces Calories: 375 Fat: 32g Carbohydrates: 3g Protein: 4g Cholesterol: 202