Epicurus' Lemonade Syrup
An incredibly flavorful syrup that is useful to make lemonade. Adds a very strong lemon flavor when used without dilution in cocktails.
Author: Chief Mixologist
Recipe type: Syrups
Serves: 1 bottle
- 5 pounds sugar
- 2 ounces citric acid
- 1 ounce tartaric acid
- 3/4 gallon boiling water
- 4 lemons for slicing
- 6 lemons for juicing
- Dissolve the sugar and acids in boiling water.
- Slice 4 lemons and use juice from 6 lemons, reserving all juice. Add to boiling water and cook for 10 minutes, reducing to simmer for 10 minutes more.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Strain through a double layer of dampened cheesecloth.
- Keep bottled in refrigerator for up to 1 month.
- To use, mix in a 5 parts water to 1 part syrup ratio.
When making lemonade, optionally add 1 ounce of raspberry, strawberry or peach puree or nectar to create a flavored lemonade. You should also consider adding fresh mint just before serving. Crush the leaves immediately before use for maximum flavor.