Eerie Witch's Brew
Author: Chief Mixologist
Recipe type: Punches
- 4 Cups cranberry juice cocktail
- 1 Cup chopped candied ginger (1 jar)
- 3 medium oranges
- 1 can (12-oz) thawed frozen apple juice concentrate
- 1 can (6-oz) thawed frozen limeade concentrate
- 2 Cups seedless grapes
- 2 bottles (32 ounces each) ginger ale
- 1 lb dry ice (up to 2 lbs)
- A smoking cauldron of punch made with grapes and orange peel masquerading as eyeballs and worms.
- A SERIOUS CAUTION: never touch dry ice; use tongs to handle.
- In a 1 to 2 quart pan bring 1 cup of cranberry juice and candied ginger to a boil over high heat.
- Boil uncovered about 2 minutes set aside.
- With a vegetable peeler pare the peel (colored part only) from oranges; cut peel into thin 2-inch-long worms; or use an Oriental shredder to make long shreds.
- Add orange peel to cranberry mixture.
- Cover and chill at least 4 hours or as long as overnight.
- Juice oranges; put juice in a 6 to 8 quart pan or heavy bowl.
- Stir in cranberry-ginger mixture; the 3 cups cranberry juice apple concentrate; limeade; grapes and water.
- If made ahead, cover and chill up to 2 hours.
- Add ginger ale and about a 1 pound piece of dry ice (DO NOT put small pieces in punch or cups); ice should smolder at least 30 minutes.
- Ladle into cups.
- Add any remaining ice when bubbling ceases.
- We strongly suggest an adult ladle this brew for children and that they do not have access to do it themselves. Consumption of dry ice could cause harm.
Makes 5 quarts; allow about 1-1/2 cups for a serving.