An absolutely intense liqueur best used for "medicinal purpose", this digestif is aptly named for its herbal qualities. A small amount will do very nicely.
Author: Chief Mixologist
Recipe type: Liqueurs
Serves: 48 ounces
- 1 quart Akvavit (Note: use a good quality Vodka instead)
- 1 long piece (2 inch) of angelica root
- 1 Cup water
- 1/2 ounce coriander seeds
- 12 fennel seeds
- 12 anise seeds (Note: if you can't find angelica, add 12 more anise seeds)
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 pound superfine sugar
- Place Akvavit (vodka) in a large bowl. Simmer angelica root and water together until 1/4 cup water remains then add, plus root, to the Akvavit.
- Put all seeds in a mortar and pulverize as much as possible then place in the Akvavit.
- Peel the lemon with a vegetable peeler, avoiding the white pith, and add to the Akvavit.
- Squeeze the lemon and add the juice with the sugar to the bowl.
- Stir all the ingredients together.
- Cover and let sit for 5 days at room temperature stirring occasionally until the sugar has melted.
- Store for a further 5 days in the refrigerator, covered.
- Finally strain through a paper filter into a bottle and store.
Angelica may be purchased through specialty shops featuring baking products. If none is available near you, ask your local bakery if they can get it for you.
Google Recipe View Microformatting by Easy Recipe