Coqui (Rum and Coconut Cream Drink)
Author: Chief Mixologist
Recipe type: Punches
Serves: 1 Quart
- 1 1/4 Cups coconut cream
- 3/4 Cup evaporated milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Cup dark Rum
- 1 Cup medium-dark Rum; Appleton Estates or Mount Gay
- 2 Tablespoons Cointreau; orange liqueur
- freshly grated nutmeg
- Coconut cream is made by pureeing 1 1/4 cups coarsely chopped fresh coconut with 1 1/4 cups light cream, then straining through cheesecloth.
- Combine the coconut cream, evaporated milk, egg yolks and vanilla in the jar of an electric blender, and blend at high speed for 30 seconds, or until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the dark rum, medium-dark rum and Cointreau, and blend for a few seconds longer.
- Refrigerate the coqui for 4 hours, or until it is thoroughly chilled.
- To serve, pour the coqui into chilled parfait or punch glasses and sprinkle the top lightly with nutmeg.
Source: Time-Life Foods of the World: The Cooking of the Caribbean Islands