Homemade Kahlua liqueur is comparable and equal to the commercial in taste, color and all other variables. You will really enjoy making and consuming this treat.
Similar to Kahlua, this delicious liqueur is quite tasty and essential for a wide variety of mixed drinks. It can also be used in a vast number of desserts and recipes.
Author: Chief Mixologist
Recipe type: Liqueurs
Serves: 5 Cups
- 1 1/2 Cups firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1 Cup sugar
- 2 Cups water
- 1/2 Cups instant coffee powder (not freeze dried)
- 3 Cups vodka
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon glycerine, optional
- 10 whole coffee beans
- In a heavy medium sized saucepan, combine the sugars and water. Bring to a boil over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally. Lower the heat. Simmer until the mixture forms a syrup, about 5 minutes.
- Stir the coffee powder into the syrup with a whisk until dissolved and the mixture is lump free. Remove the pan from the heat. Let cool completely.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients until smooth. Funnel the mixture into a half gallon glass bottle; drop in the whole coffee beans. Cover tightly. Let mature for at least two weeks. Strain out the coffee beans, if desired.
Adapted from Glorious Liqueurs Edited by Mary Aurea Morris