This is more commonly used in non-alcoholic drinks, but it has shown up from time to time in great cocktails. The quality of your cocoa increases the flavor exponentially.
Author: Chief Mixologist
Recipe type: Syrups
Serves: 2 Cups
- 1 1/2 Cup sugar
- 3/4 Cup high quality cocoa
- 1 dash salt
- 1 Cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In medium saucepan, stir together sugar, cocoa and salt.
- Gradually add water, stirring to keep mixture smooth.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils; boil and stir 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat letting it cool to below 140 degrees F.; stir in vanilla.
- Pour into heatproof container.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Cover; refrigerate. Use as topping for ice cream and desserts or for chocolate-flavored drinks.
- Makes about 2 cups syrup.
- Hot Cocoa: Add 1 to 2 tablespoons Cocoa Syrup to mug of hot milk; stir until blended.
- Cocoa Syrup Drink: Add 1 to 2 tablespoons Cocoa Syrup to tall glass of cold milk; stir until blended.