Christmas Eve Mulled Wine
Author: Chief Mixologist
Recipe type: Alcoholic Cocktails, Holiday Drinks, Punches
- 3 1/4 Cups white wine
- 3 1/4 Cups red wine
- 1 1/4 Cups sweet red vermouth
- 1 Tablespoon Angostura bitters
- 2 small, whole oranges studded with
- 8 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 8 cardamom pods; crushed
- 1 Tablespoon dark raisins
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1 each lemon and orange sliced
- 2 small apples, peeled but not cored
- Pour white wine and red wine into a large stainless steel or enamel saucepan.
- Add vermouth, bitters, oranges, cloves, cinnamon, and cardamom pods.
- Heat wine mixture gently until very hot but do not boil.
- Remove saucepan from heat, cover with a lid and cool.
- Strain wine into a bowl.
- Just before serving, return wine to a clean saucepan.
- Add raisins and sugar.
- Heat gently until sugar is dissolved and wine is just hot enough to drink.
- Add fruit slices and apples. Serve in heatproof mugs.
Adapted from The Book of Christmas Foods