The simplest recipes are often the best. Chocolate en Leche, or Hot Chocolate with Milk is one of Mexico’s most comforting beverages of great history and flavor. It is rich, creamy but not sweet, and its roots date back to ancient pre-Columbian times.
- 6 ounces chocolate, Mexican
- 4 Cups milk
- In a heavy 2 to 3 quart saucepan, combine the chocolate and milk.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the chocolate has melted completely and the mixture is well blended and hot.
- Do not let the mixture come to a boil.
- With a molinillo (Mexican wooden beater) or a rotary beater, beat the chocolate vigorously until it is foamy.
- Pour it into individual cups and serve at once.