The blueberry. Humble, simple, colorful and tart when fresh, but cooked it turns purple, becomes sweet, delicious and sultry. In this glorious liqueur, a blueberry syrup is made and combined with the alcohol to create the liqueur. An interesting method, but one that works perfectly for blueberries.
Use only the freshest berries, with none that are too soft, discolored or moldy. Carefully pick them over to ensure there are no stems, and no unripened berries. Only rinse the berries just before use.
- 1 Quart fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- strips of peel from one lemon
- 2 Cups sugar
- 1 Cup vodka
- Simmer blueberries, water, cinnamon, cloves, lemon peel for 25 minutes.
- Strain through a cheese cloth.
- Pour about 1 1/4 Cups liquid into a sauce pan.
- Add sugar and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To make liqueur, combine one cup blueberry syrup to one cup vodka.
- Refrigerate for 4 weeks.
- Makes approximately one pint.