Similar to Strega or Anisette, this liqueur has a number of uses, including many cocktails that call for its mellow spice flavor. It would be served straight up with several roasted coffee beans floating on top.
Author: Chief Mixologist
Recipe type: Liqueurs
Serves: 1 1/4 pints
- 1 lemon
- 3 Cups granulated sugar
- 2 Cups water
- 1 1/3 Cup vodka
- 1 1/4 Cups basic sugar syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon anise extract
- yellow food coloring
- Pare very finely the bright-colored rind from the lemon (no white). Blot peel on paper toweling to remove any excess oil.
- Combine sugar, water and peel in a large saucepan, heat to boiling, stirring often.
- Lower heat, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain syrup into a glass container. Cool to room temperature before preparing liqueurs.
- Combine vodka, sugar, syrup, vanilla and anise extract in a 4 cup screw-top jar.
- Stir in just enough yellow food coloring to tint liquid a pale yellow. Close jar.
- Store in a cool, dark place for at least 1 week to age.
Google Recipe View Microformatting by Easy Recipe