An exceptional liqueur from Mexico, with outstanding, sweet, rich and deep flavors. This is the Mexican edition of Amaretto, but distinctly different and uniquely wonderful. It is commonly called “Almendrado”.
- 8 ounces unpeeled almonds dark roasted (see note)
- 1/2 vanilla bean split
- 1 stick cinnamon 3 inches
- 1 bottle gold tequila
- 2 Tablespoons Spicy Piloncillo Syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Place nuts on baking sheet in 325-degree preheated oven and toast until dark brown, turning occasionally. When done, remove from pan to prevent overcooking.
- Coarsely chop nuts. Place in jar along with the vanilla bean and cinnamon stick. Cover with tequila and steep for 2 weeks in cool, dark place, shaking gently occasionally (a murky sediment is natural). Strain several times through paper coffee filters. Add syrup and almond extract in small increments, tasting after each addition, until satisfied with flavor.
- Pour into sterilized dark-colored jar: allow to set for 2 weeks, adding more syrup if needed.
Nutritional analysis per ounce: 106 calories, 4 grams fat, 3 grams carbohydrates, 0 cholesterol, 1 milligram sodium, 35 percent of calories from fat.