The martini is a cocktail made with gin and vermouth, and garnished with an olive or a lemon twist. Over the years, the martini has become one of the best-known mixed alcoholic beverages. H. L. Mencken called the martini “the only American invention as perfect as the sonnet.”
- 1 1/2 fluid ounces Gin
- 1 1/2 fluid ounces dry vermouth
- Green olive
- Fill a mixing glass half full with ice cubes.
- Pour gin and vermouth into a mixing glass and stir well.
- Strain drink into a cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a green olive with a toothpick through it.