Legal Sea Foods is one of America’s finest seafood restaurant chains and their Clam Chowder is an absolutely outstanding creation. Simply perfect.
- 6 pounds Littleneck clams
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 Cup water
- 1/8 pounds salt pork; finely chopped
- 2 Cups chopped onions
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 3 Cups fish stock
- 1 1/2 pounds boiling potatoes; peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 Cups whipping cream
- Oyster Crackers; (optional)
- Scrub clams well under cold running water. Place in a large pot along with garlic and water. Steam clams just until opened, about 6 to 10 minutes, depending on their size. Drain and shell clams, reserving broth (there should be about 4 cups). Mince clam flesh and set aside. Strain clam broth through cheesecloth and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, fry salt pork over medium heat until crisp. Remove cracklings and set aside. Add onions and saute in fat over medium heat, stirring frequently, until cooked through but not browned, about 6 minutes. Stir in flour and cook, stirring, 3 minutes. Add reserved clam broth and fish stock and whisk to remove any flour lumps.
- Bring liquid to boil, add potatoes, then reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in reserved clams, salt pork cracklings and cream. Heat chowder until hot. Serve in large soup bowls with oyster crackers, if desired.
Recipe from The Legal Sea Foods restaurant chain.