|Christmas Mincemeat Bread Pudding|| |
- 8 Cups white, Hawaiian-type bread, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 Cup sugar
- 8 extra large eggs
- 4 Cups whipping cream
- 1 Cup whole milk
- 2 ounces Brandy
- 9 ounces condensed mincemeat (not bottled)
- 1/4 Cup melted butter
- In a large shallow baking pan, toast the bread cubes in a hot oven until just golden brown. Do not toast too much. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a large bowl cream the eggs and sugar together until they begin to whiten. Add the whipping cream, milk, brandy and melted butter and continue to beat until well mixed.
- Crumble the mincemeat into small pieces and add to the egg mixture. Add the bread cubes to the mixture and stir to coat evenly. Let stand for about 30 minutes stirring once or twice during that time.
- To cook, spray a 9 x 13 x 2 inch oven proof baking dish with a non stick substance.
- Transfer the egg bread mixture to the baking dish and cook in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until the custard is set in the center.
- Can be served hot or cold.
When warm this pudding is light and airy. It will reheat nicely in a microwave oven. It is a rich pudding but if a sauce is desired a rum type sauce goes nicely or you can use just a little whipped cream. Be sure and only use the dry, condensed mincemeat.