|Bistro Garden German Apple Pancake||
- 4 Cups flour
- 1 3/4 Cups sugar; divided
- 3 eggs; separated
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 3/4 Cups milk
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup butter; plus
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 6 Granny Smith or Pippin apples; peeled, cored,
- and cut into 6 wedges
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- sour cream; (optional)
- jam or marmalade; (optional)
- Mix flour, 3/4 cup sugar, egg yolks, eggs, milk and vanilla in large bowl. Let stand 15 minutes, then strain. Whip egg whites until stiff, then fold into flour mixture.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add apple slices and cook until lightly softened, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Return 1/6 of apples to skillet. Add 1 tablespoon butter, then 1 1/4 cups batter. Cook over medium heat until brown on bottom, about 4 minutes. Turn over and cook 1 minute.
- Mix 1 cup sugar with 1 tablespoon cinnamon. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar over pancake. Remove from pan, cut into wedges and keep warm.
- Repeat process for remaining pancakes, starting by returning 1/6 of apples to skillet, adding 1 tablespoon butter and 1 1/4 cups batter and cooking, until all pancakes are finished and no batter remains.
- Top each with extra cinnamon sugar. Serve warm pancakes with sour cream, jam or marmalade, if desired.
Each serving: 401 calories; 158 mg sodium; 136 mg cholesterol; 14 grams fat; 61 grams carbohydrates; 9 grams protein; 0.46 gram fiber.