Biscotti are served in Italy on the side of a cup of espresso, cappuccino or other hot beverages. They go well with hot chocolate, too. Delicioso!
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 Cup sugar
- 3/4 Cup almonds, whole, unblanched finely ground
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda; or, baking powder and
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 Cup almonds, whole, unblanched
- 1/3 Cup honey
- 1/3 Cup water
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 350F. Combine all ingredients except honey and water in a mixing bowl and stir a minute or 2 to mix. Add the honey and water and stir until a firm dough forms. Remove dough from bowl and divide in half.
- Roll each half into a log about 15 inches long. Place both logs, well apart, on a jelly roll pan lined with parchment or buttered wax paper.
- Bake about 30 minutes, until well risen, firm and a dark golden color. Remove from oven, cool logs slightly and place on a cutting board.
- Slice the logs diagonally at 1/2-inch intervals. Return the cut biscotti to the pan, cut side down, and bake an additional 15 minutes, until lightly colored and dry.
- Cool on the pan. Store in a tin – they keep well.
Serve with hot chocolate, coffee, espresso or tea for a great breakfast or afternoon snack.