Though not widely known or favored in the United States or Canada, Kümmel is a very popular liqueur in Eastern Europe, with Russia being the largest producer. This version focuses on a broader range of spices than other Kümmel. Caraway remains, however, the key, most critical ingredient.
|Kümmel Liqueur|| |
- 6 Cups 80 proof vodka
- 2 Cups water
- 16 teaspoons whole caraway seed
- 6 Chinese anise seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 Cups white sugar
- Mix all ingredients. Cover.
- Shake vigorously for two or three minutes. Do this each day until no more sugar settles to the bottom.
- Let mixture stand for one month.
- Carefully pour liqueur through a sieve. Discard seeds and residue from bottom of the bottle.
- Filter then bottle.